Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Importance of Elders

In very simple terms an Elder is one who is further up the path, someone who has more life experience as well as seasoned training and many skills in whatever path they walk. In some Pagan traditions what this means is very formalized, and in others it is not. It may be easier to understand what the role of Elder really means by watching the behavior of those you would give that respect and regard.

One such person in my life was Jerik Danerson, who was a master Tarot Reader and Palmist on Jackson Square in New Orleans for over 30 years. He also was a Pagan Elder and fine High Priest, who shared his knowledge and great depth of feeling freely and with love to all who approached with an open mind and heart.



Jerik worked on the square regularly, and while sitting at his Tarot set up spent his days conversing with his colleagues, with friends, clients and visitors to the city. He loved New Orleans very much, and delighted in showing visitors around and telling them about the amazingly interesting history of places in the French Quarter. He always found time to have long and deep talks with people from all walks of life, and frequently gave great kindness to those many people would overlook. He took street kids into his home and would give them a safe place to stay while they got on their feet. In between his readings he could often be found helping his friends sort out their issues with each other; encouraging this couple not to fight, this parent to do the best for their child, these friends to work together on important things, that artistic tourist to follow their heart and learn to paint or do whatever it is that moved them. Jerik was truly a Southern Gentleman; he was gracious in speech, kind in word and deed, loyal in friendship, protective of loved ones, and genuine in his dedication to his spiritual callings. He was a man who regularly found joy in the simple things in life, and even in the most difficult times would look for the good.

He was an incredible writer and a storyteller that I would describe as bardically gifted, and it was a great joy to me that he constantly encouraged me. I am blessed to have known him, to have shared letters with him, and countless nights of wonderful conversations. Jerik meant a great deal more to me than I know how to say. If someones life could be an example of what an Elder is, I think Jerik Danerson is one who should be honored in this regard.

He wrote me an amazing letter once with his story of making it through the aftermath of hurricane Katrina, and should you be interested I recommend having a read. You can find it here:

Jerik's Hurricane Katrina Story


Happy Birthday Jerik, I raise my glass and my heart to you!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    You don't know me, but my daughter and I became very close to Jerik in the last few years of his life.
    We met him on one of our frequent visits to New Orleans and became fast friends. He would write us about his life stories and keep us posted on his life time dream - his book. He had wanted my daughter to assist him with his book as he felt she was a part of that life.
    I have tried to find someone who knows what happened to his draft copy, but to no avail. I was told by Kat that his roomate was asked for it, but claimed she didn't have it.
    I want to help see that it is published and have the contacts to do so, but need help from those who truly want to see his dream come true.
    I would really appreciate it if you would contact me at gia0330@yahoo.com and fill me in on what has happened with Jerik's life as he left it. I understand that there were some trying to get together a fund to pay for his funeral expenses but was unable to make contact with anyone when I was there last April.
    He was truly a great man - kind, gentle and wise. I just want to pay tribute.

    Thank you,
    Virginia

    BTW..you are an excellent writer! I work with financial aid for students and would be glad to give you guidance on how best to return to college

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you got my messages, because you touched on something here that is very important to me. I want to see Jerik's writing survive him, and effect others who may have never had the chance to meet him. He was a gifted story teller and wise about many things, the best way to honnor him would be to see that his ideas and teachings continue to be shared. Thanks again for you kind thoughts.

    ReplyDelete