Monday, December 7, 2009

Ah, it's that time of year....

I remember the first time I attended a Pagan Yule Gathering. I was sixteen, and an older girlfriend of mine called and invited me to go. We were dressed in Renaissance knock-off thrift store finery, with our best ribbons in our hair. That one event was the doorway I had been looking for into the world I belonged to. I had been having my own private spiritual experiences since I was a child, particularly in moments when I was out by myself in nature. I was very attuned to the Pagan spirit of things and some forms of Wiccan tradition, even though I didn't have those words until I was about 11. After I found several books that really talk about the history and philosophy of natural magic in a sphere of spirituality, I had spent several frustrating young years looking for a gathering like this.

I met that day quite a few people that came to mean a great deal to my life. ( I don't think any of those folks would mind their names being used, after all, once you're on the cover of the Detroit New's what's the point of hanging out in the broom closet? But, still. )One day one of them will stumble through here, and hopefully it will make them smile to be remembered. I wonder if they had any idea how excited I was to be there, if it shined through my eyes like I bet it did.

There was a huge circle, which was properly prepared and cleansed, the elements were invited, the God and Goddess called, and a Divine play was performed about the Holly King and the Oak King. We did some meditation and asked for blessings in the coming year, and did a great communal dance that began as a circle and became a spiral. Winded and full of laughter, we all shared a huge pot luck feast. I think that might have been the night of Nathan's Wiccaning, too- I remember Pascal saying "I give you power over fire." and having him blow out a candle.

That time for me is steeped in them memory of forming deep and lasting friendships that had a sense of being family on a soul level. The way I value things in life may come from a principal I have about regarding and respecting the value of connection and community.

think there was a tradition somewhere.....

we would gather together in the cold to share warmth and bread, and light and laughter; and as the evening deepened there would be stories......
so perhaps this winter I will share some of mine, and try to get some interesting Pagans to share some stories of their own personal journeys.

:-)

Nicolette Stevens/ Sylviana

No comments:

Post a Comment