Monday, November 2, 2009

To Wait on the Will of Heaven - (poem)

Just a prayer I wrote years ago...... ( My Goddess, here's my new prayer: Make me as smart and wise as I was at 18 when I wrote this! )

( side note: when I wrote this I was researching ancient Sumerian Mythology, particularly that which centered around Inanna, the Sumerian Queen of Heaven and Earth and the High Holy Priestess among the Gods. I can see in this poem an imitation of the format of some ancient prayers that were translated from Hieroglyphs. Some of them can be read in a very nice format in a great book called "Inanna: Queen of Heaven an Earth"; which is very worth reading if such things interest you. This was a child's poor imitation, though I think very sweet and genuinely heartfelt at the time. )



To Wait on the Will of Heaven

Make my house a sanctuary,
A place that is safe from all evils,
Make my home a temple,
A place where serene reverence lives,
And comfort is found.

Make of me a ritual singer,
Teach me the art of bringing sparkeling stars
To shine the light that will see dark night
Into day.

I kneel at your feet ready to learn,
If you would have me as your pupil.
I stand at your arm,
ready to serve,
If you would make of me your servant.

Imbue in me beauty and gracefulness,
That I may be pleasing to you.
Let me listen to the river of truth,
That I may sing of you
Give the people ears that they might hear,
That I might not be alone,
In lifting songs of praise.

Let not the flow of the water be stopped,
Let not the ground run dry.
Let not the rain cease,
and your beautiful Earth to crack
And weep tears of wood for your absence.

Be not angry, take not your grace from my sight,
Cast not blindness upon me like mud in the eyes.
Forgive your servant her transgressions,
She is but a pale shadow of anything you could be.
She has found humility in her failings,
she bows before you,
Awaiting your judgement.

Hear her heart rails for want of peace,
Though her lips may be silenced in reverent awe of You.
You are the spirit eternal,You are the holiest of holies,
without you there would be nothing.

Your daughter has come to you with tears in her eyes,
That only you are capable of wiping away.
Your servant has entered with head bowed,
Waiting on your word.

Within her heart she prays:"Cast me not away."
Let me be brilliant for you,
Let me be fit enough to shine a little of your light,
That the people might see,
Give to me again the honey mouth,
Teach me to listen to the silence,
Let me sing again, I pray!

Let me bring you the sweet drink,
Let the cup not crack within my hands,
For you have placed something precious within it.
I wait on the will of Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment