Friday, May 11, 2012

Music as Magick

Shortly the next chapter in the paper I'm writing about Jerik's life will be available, but I'm also working on a lot of other things. My piano is at my Grandmother's house, and while visiting I finally got to play it again for a little bit. Music is one skill that I think also has a magical component, it touches both the maker and the listener on a deep level when it's really good. I'm perhaps not the most accomplished composer in the world, but I've written a few songs and have always felt moved in a spiritual way to do that. I managed to figure out how my webcam works and created a video of myself playing one of the first songs I ever wrote.

Initially, I started to write this piece after one of the brothers in a circle I was with passed away. I was pretty young at the time, and I looked up to the young man a great deal. His name was Pascal McGaffey, and he was a brilliant young man who played keyboards, wrote poetry, was an actor, and had also studied and performed dance as well. He was also one of the most magical souls I have met in my life, and I still miss him almost two decades later. As a friend he was deeply loyal and encouraging, and one of the things he always encouraged me to do was work more and more on my own music and poetry. I don't think I would have gotten this far if it wasn't for Pascal. here's the song I wrote for him, well, the piano part at least, if you're curious. One day I think I'm going to turn it into a Pagan symphony.


There were words a long time ago too, that no one knows. Roughly, the first part went like this:

Listen to the falling rain, dripping in the alley way,
Feel how it rests on my skin, hiding the tears again.
It's been so very long since we last had a cup of coffee,
And I wonder what you'd say to me, if you could hear my voice now.

Remember when, remember then, remember how I love you.
I'm falling down, there is no ground, I fear I'll drown, and I am lost without you.

In a far of castle high above the mist
I often wonder if you watch me sleeping.
There were better days before this lonely haze came
Me without you.

There was a time when your hand was clasping my hand,
And all both dark and bright in our souls met with our eyes,
That's when you smiled at me and said the circle's open,
But never broken, and I knew we'd meet again.

I remember how you took your coffee, what you said to me
and all the love we had.
I remember, all the vows and honor, 
and the promises we strive to keep.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks!! Beautiful Music I meet this guy in 3 grade and we where friends my only childhood friend they i kept in contact with through the years. I spent hours at his house playing on his commodore 64 and his family was so kind to me I remember our first game of D&D and I remember so much. He was a kind and forgiving soul. I remember our last conversation he was on his way to the Medieval thing that Detroit has every year. I guess at that time I was atheist not sure what way he was going but I always knew...Some how I found Jesus and became a Christian I we lost contact and When I went to look of him I pulled up to his house and I saw the youngest child doing the chorse in the yard he use to do. I asked where could I find Pascal and he said my brother been dead 7 years... swallowed hard kept my composure and went in to see his mom. She starred crying when she remembered me.. My friend that's all I can say

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Nikki for the Song brought tears to my eyes... I just so happened to google his name this evening like i often do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish i had the opportunity to introduce him to Hope!!

    ReplyDelete